Thursday, March 27, 2014

Reading Review - Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

13450339
She could save the world—or destroy it.

Sixteen-year-old Evangeline "Evie" Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they're still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.

But she can't do either alone.

With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can't totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him?

Who can Evie trust?

As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it's not always clear who is on which side.

Today's review is on a book that I've been curious about and finally picked up at the beginning of February - Poison Princess by Kresley Cole. The idea behind this book is really unique, and the book was engrossing. I ended up reading it in two sittings, and it was an enjoyable read. The one area that seemed to be weaker than the others was in the characters, but aside from that this is a great start to the Arcana Chronicles.

Typically, I begin a review with my thoughts on the characters, and so I thought I'd address why I thought they were lacking. The protagonist, Evie, was a good narrator. I found her character to be interesting, undergoing a major internal conflict, and developing into a very interesting lead. However, the other characters didn't read as well to me. The male protagonist, Jack, was interesting but not my favorite lead. His and Evie's relationship seemed random to me, and as characters they lacked a good dynamic. The supporting characters were all mysterious enough, but also annoying and again lacked a good dynamic with each other. Selena's character in particular bothered me, as she didn't seem to add anything to the story in general. However, I think that the characters can improve in the sequel and I'm hoping that they will prove to be more interesting and have more interaction and development in the sequel.

The story itself was very engaging. I was engrossed in the story and with what was going on. The idea is unlike anything I've read, and I'm curious to read on in the series. There are a lot of details and obstacles in the world that kept the story fast paced. Generally, the world building was limited to the aftershock of the Flash- not much is explained in terms of the supernatural that's in the story. However, as Evie learns more about what's happening, there's more to discover in the sequel. 

I really enjoyed this book. Although some of the characters were lacking, the world and concept are interesting enough to make this book a good start to the series. After reading it, I'm definitely excited to pick up the sequel and continue on.

From the paper world,
V

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love getting comments and responding, so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by, I truly appreciate it!