Monday, October 20, 2014

Reading Review - Ashes to Ashes by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian

First off, this is the third book in a series and it's definitely the sort of trilogy you don't want to be spoiled about if you want to read it! So, my review for Ashes to Ashes, as well as the synopsis and Goodreads links, will be posted after the jump break. If you want to see my thoughts on the first book in this trilogy, check out my review of Burn for Burn on Goodreads. And here's a quick look at what the series is all about with the synopsis of the first book.
Postcard-perfect Jar Island is the kind of place where nobody locks their doors at night, where parents can sleep easy, knowing their daughters are tucked away safe and sound in their beds. 

But bad things can happen, even to good girls . . . and sometimes, the only way to make things right is to do something wrong. 

Lillia used to trust boys, but not anymore. Not after what happened this summer. And she’ll do whatever it takes to protect her little sister from the same fate. 

Kat is over the rumors, the insults, the cruel jokes made at her expense. It all goes back to one person--her ex-best friend. Someone needs to teach her a lesson, and, with Lillia and Mary behind her, Kat feels up to the task.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she’s not the same girl anymore. Now that she’s got friends who have her back, he's going to be in big trouble.

Three very different girls who come together to make things right. Will they go too far?
*spoilers for Burn for Burn and Fire with Fire*


New Year's Eve ended with a bang and Mary, Kat and Lillia may not be prepared for what is to come.
After Rennie's death, Kat and Lillia try to put the pieces together of what happened to her. They both blame themselves. If Lillia hadn't left with Reeve... If Kat had only stayed with Rennie... Things could have been different. Now they will never be the same.
Only Mary knows the truth about that night. About what she is. She also knows the truth about Lillia and Reeve falling in love, about Reeve being happy when all he deserves is misery, just like the misery he caused her. Now their childish attempts at revenge are a thing of the past and Mary is out for blood. Will she leave anything in her wake or will all that remain be ashes?
Firstly, I can't even begin to describe how happy I am to be writing a book review. It feels like it's been forever since I've been able to sit down and write a review, since it's been so long since I finished a book. When I picked up Ashes to Ashes, it was for several reasons. 

a. I've been wanting to know what happens next ever since that ending of Fire with Fire that just left me completely shocked back when I picked the series up in February
b. I left Isla and the Happily Ever After when I went to travel for a bit and so I picked this book up
c. This series is fast paced and quick reads

So, I picked this book up and...read it in 3 hours. After not being able to finish a book in over a month from being so busy, reading through this book and finishing it was wonderful. Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian write fast paced reads that you can't put down. This book was no exception. The characters are compelling, and you really see everyone's flaws in this final installment and how they are dealing with the supernatural revelations from the last book. It was intense and dramatic and a wild story, fitting with the rest of the series. I think the supernatural elements were better put together in this book instead of being haphazardly thrown in as I'd thought in the previous two. 

My problems with the book were mainly in its ending. While the whole story was unpredictable, the ending felt a little abrupt. I wasn't unhappy with it, but I think it was sort of sudden. 

I gave this book 4 stars. It's a solid ending to the series, and definitely explains a lot of what was going on in the past books. 

I actually ended up reviewing each of the books in this series! I reviewed Burn for Burn earlier this year on Goodreads (link above) and also reviewed Fire with Fire there. So, there are my thoughts on the entire series. Hope you're enjoying your current read, and see you next time!

From the paper world,
V

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love getting comments and responding, so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by, I truly appreciate it!