Saturday, February 8, 2014

Reading Review - Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

The Precious Stone trilogy is one that I started awhile back, read and then forgot about, and then was curious when Booktube exploded with these books. Ruby Red was a book I'd read awhile ago, but I reread it this past November and I thought I would share my thoughts. This is the first book in the trilogy, and the sequels, Sapphire Blue and Emerald Green, are already published. This series is originally German, by the way. It's a great time travel series!
8835379
Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!
Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

When I first read this book, I wasn't a fan. I think my main problems were with Gwen's family (Charlotte is pretty bratty) and how Gwen seemed to just go along with it all- I wanted her to stand up for herself, and try and figure out what was going on! But when I reread the book, I found that I enjoyed it a lot more. I'm not sure if it was because I felt like I understood more of the whole time travel concept that's presented in this series. Admittedly, Gwen doesn't do a good job explaining what's going on in the time travel aspects, but that's because she doesn't know what to expect, and she's still a good character.
Rereading it didn't make me like her Aunt or Charlotte any more, however. Those two characters were so annoying in every scene they were in. But for the most part the other characters are good. Gideon was a little bit annoying in this book as well, but he has room for character development. Gwen, Great Aunt Maddy, her Mom, best friend, and even her siblings were really great characters- they were very supportive of her and I appreciated that. There are some great characters, and it's a good start to the series! I gave it 4 stars, and I featured it back in my November Wrap Up.
See it on Goodreads      Visit the Author's Website (it is in German!)      See it first mentioned in my November Wrap Up

From a paper world,
V

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love getting comments and responding, so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by, I truly appreciate it!