Monday, June 30, 2014

The First Half of 2014 Bonus - Top Five Favorite Covers

I wanted to include some bonus material for The First Half of 2014, and since many of you know I love talking about book covers, I thought I'd share my five favorite from books I've read this year. 


Second Star
This title is so evocative of the book and the story within. Reading this story made me want to grab a surf board and start learning like Wendy, and the surreal feel of this story sort of transfers onto the cover as well.


Unhinged (Splintered, #2)
You've probably heard me gush about this cover before. If not, I can quickly summarize. Morpheus. Beautiful color scheme. Intricate details that fit the cover character and story. Morpheus. 


Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman's Daughter, #2)
I adore the dramatic coloring of this cover, and the cover model's dress is gorgeous! It also reflects some of the changes Juliet has undergone since the first book yet also how her character has remained the same in some aspects as well. And of course the dramatic red accent that is a constant in this series' book covers. 


To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
This is a cover with true attention to detail. The title looks like Lara Jean scrawled it on in Sharpie, and the room is filled with pictures that I think I heard Jenny Han had brought, and as you look at the cover and its continuation onto the back you see small, truly personal touches that took this cover and made it into a real part of the book.


Gilded (Gilded, #1)
I remember seeing Christina Farley do a video when Gilded's cover was released talking about the different aspects of the cover and how each detail contributed to the story and the culture. Not only is this a stunning cover with a beautiful blue scheme, but it's really rooted in the mythology and details that Christina Farley brought to the story.

I hope you all have enjoyed The First Half of 2014, and I'm so happy I was able to share this with you. Although the series began as a spontaneous little whim of mine, I wanted to expand it and really explore the books I've read since I have really branched out into the various YA genres this year and hope to continue to do so. Of course, any book suggestions are welcome in the comments and I'd love to discuss with you!

From the paper world,
V

3 comments:

  1. I love the cover for her Dark Curiosity! That dress! (I have a thing with pretty dresses...) And I also love the cover of Gilded. It seems very unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely a fan of pretty dresses, and it's so beautiful! My favorite dress from the series! Gilded's cover is really unique and I love the details.

      Delete
  2. I loved the cover of To All the Boys! I loved how it just so pretty but it's also functional and ties into the story as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love getting comments and responding, so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by, I truly appreciate it!