Friday, June 27, 2014

The First Half of 2014 Part IV - Top Five Fantasy and Retellings

Today's books have come from what are probably two of the genres that I have especially enjoyed this year. Fairy tale retellings, and retellings in general, are some of my favorite reads and so I found some wonderful ones this year. However, I stumbled across a few fantasy reads that were excellent as well, and since fantasy is a genre that I normally don't read as often, I was thrilled to have read some great books from it.

It's day four so let me know what your picks are and let me know your thoughts! I'm so excited to share my picks for this list, these books were really wonderful!

Unhinged (Splintered, #2)no. 1 - Unhinged by A.G. Howard
Are you surprised? Of course this Alice in Wonderland retelling trilogy is among my favorite book series ever, and Unhinged was absolutely incredible. I was kept in suspense the entire time, and I loved returning to this world and characters (especially my beloved Morpheus!) and this is a sequel that's thrilling, an excellent continuation, and leaves you ready for Ensnared!






Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)no. 2 - Cress by Marissa Meyer
This is by far my favorite book in The Lunar Chronicles thus far. While each is great, Cress's storyline was fast paced, filled with action and incredible characters. I loved the witty banter and group that we see in this book, and Cress is an awesome addition to the leading ladies of The Lunar Chronicles. This was a book I couldn't put down, and it has made an already awesome series become one of my favorites. While we won't be getting Winter until November 2015, I'm definitely excited for more of this series with the prequel Fairest that's coming out in January. 

I really loved this second book in Jackson Pearce's retellings series. The characters were really wonderful- each was unique, well developed, and their personalities complemented each other well. I loved the sibling dynamic and bond between Ansel and Gretchen, and the mystery that fills the story as well. I found the characters to be memorable and engaging, and the story was well written and fast paced without dragging. I found myself immersed in the world of this small town and Gretchen's quest for answers.



Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)
This was the 2014 debut I was looking forward to the most, and Stolen Songbird was really wonderful. I had, for some reason, thought it was a paranormal instead of a fantasy before I'd picked the book up, but this is an incredible fantasy that shines. The world that Danielle L. Jensen has created is intricate, beautiful, and riddled with mystery. I loved seeing Celine's character grow, and how her and Tristan got to know each other. This book is one that has me very excited to read its sequel as well, Hidden Huntress, which comes out in 2015.



Incarnate (Newsoul, #1)



Incarnate is a book that I discovered through a readalong, and I'm so happy I did. The world in this fantasy is absolutely incredible- it's truly unlike any concept I've read. This book has elements that are unusual in YA and Ana is a great lead. I fell in love with the world building and the characters.




From the paper world,
V

4 comments:

  1. Cress!!! So so so good! Definitely one of my favorite reads of the year. I have Stolen Songbird and keep hearing really good things and I definitely want to read it, but after the news about Strange Chemistry shutting down, I'm scared to. What if we don't get a sequel??? I don't know if I can handle not knowing how the story ends so I may wait a bit until we get more info about what is going on with all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cress is absolutely wonderful! Reading that was just a wonderful experience because everything was fast paced and action and those characters are my favorite group of characters. I think we will get a sequel, I just feel so terrible for all the Strange Chemistry authors and everyone as they try to find new places. This is a hectic, crazy time for everyone but that story is absolutely magical and I'm sure we'll hear more about it :)

      Delete
  2. I have read Cress and Incarnate. They were both wonderful and I agree to put them on this list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed both of them, I've got to read Asunder and Inifinite sometime this year too if I can. Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love getting comments and responding, so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by, I truly appreciate it!