Thursday, August 7, 2014

Reading Review - The Karma Club by Jessica Brody

Madison Kasparkova always thought she understood how Karma works. Do good things and you'll be rewarded, do something bad and Karma will make sure you get what you deserve.

But when Maddy’s boyfriend  cheats on her, nothing bad comes his way. That’s why Maddy  starts the Karma Club,  to clean up the messes that the universe has left behind. Sometimes, though, it isn’t wise to meddle with the universe.

It turns out Karma often has plans of its own.

Rating - 2.5 Stars
Major Pros - Entertaining, Lighthearted
Major Cons - Characterization, Development
How I Read It - Won in a giveaway 

It's time for yet another review! Although I've yet to hear much about this book, I am definitely curious to know other's thoughts since I had a very mixed reaction to this book. Today we're talking about The Karma Club by Jessica Brody. Going into the book, I was expecting something akin to Burn for Burn by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian. That is to say, I was ready for a quick, entertaining read in that a group of friends banded together and completely unrealistic antics ensued.

The Karma Club disappointed me in the characters and how immature it felt. Granted, this is a contemporary tale of revenge so it's not going to be anything very relatable or realistic, but the characters themselves read as shallow and didn't undergo much character development as the story went on. The story lacked enough originality to make it stand out, and I was skimming often and skipping a few pages here and there to get through the story. 

Overall I was disappointed by The Karma Club. I had been hoping for more character development and growth, and for a more interesting cast of characters. The story read as entertaining and lighthearted at some points, and bland as others, and the characters weren't developed much throughout the course of the story. I think that this is a fast, quick and entertaining read, but lacked depth to it that would have made it a more memorable book for me. 

From the paper world,
V

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love getting comments and responding, so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by, I truly appreciate it!