Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Things I Am Thankful For

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday, and this week's theme is the Top Ten Things I Am Thankful For. I decided to make this a book edition and include books that really moved me or that I am especially thankful that I've read. Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme from The Broke and the Bookish.
These books are in no particular order, but they are all near and dear to me.


no. 10 - The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Yes, I know this book is extraordinarily popular and probably does not need further vouching for. However, this book really is something special. I remember reading and putting the book down for a second to just marvel at some of the lines. This book has real heart, and the characters and how they relate to each other are unforgettable. I won't go on and on about it, but this is definitely one of my top recommendations. Just, you know, have a box of tissues. 

no. 9 - The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
This series has been one of my favorites, and I cannot believe it's ending in 2014. This is the series that brought my bookish friends and I together to fangirl for the first time. I love reading the books; it feels like going back to old friends. While I'm excited for Heavenly Fire, I am really sad for this series to end. The series is fun, comedic, lighthearted at points, but also very well developed with complex characters, interesting history, and so, so many feels. And quick side note: the COHF description changed from 'Will love be their salvation?' to 'Who will survive?' and not gonna lie, that makes me really nervous about COHF. There are going to be so many feels. Great series regardless.

no. 8 - The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
I really don't know what to say about this series except that it holds a special place in my heart, as I know it does for so many readers across the world. I think it's amazing that one series can mean so much to so many people, and Harry, his friends, and Hogwarts are so unforgettable. These are wonderful reads, and there's not much to say about them except that they are so spectacular, and they are definitely, definitely a top recommendation.

no. 7 - Model by Cheryl Diamond
I have never really heard people talk about this book before, but I really enjoy it. In fact, Model is one of my favorites and since it isn't well known I'll probably write and review on it and give you more detailed thoughts. Basically, Model is the autobiography of Cheryl Diamond who leaves her home to move to New York and pursue a modeling career. Her voice is great- you can really see her determination and perseverance mixed with her humor and wit that had me laughing as I read along. And her story really is a tale of working against the odds, coming into her own, and overcoming some really difficult obstacles. Don't let the nonfiction label bother you- this is an entertaining yet inspiring read. It really made me think about reaching goals that seemed impossible, but how she managed to chase her dream and enjoy her life at the same time.

no. 6 - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Book Thief is a really unique story. It's set in World War II and follows the life of a little girl and her family. Narrated by Death, this book was one I haven't read in awhile, but hope to reread soon. The film adaptation is releasing this month as well. However, I do remember enjoying the uniqueness of the narration and the real depth of the story of Liesel and how she and her family live during the time.

no. 5 - The Covenant series by Jennifer Armentrout
This is a lesser known series that really means something to me. Alex is probably my favorite YA protagonist of all time. I cheer her on and mourn with her; I think all of her ideas are fantastic until we're sitting shamefaced in the aftermath. Alex is hilarious, tough, strong, but also really caring and loyal. Her friends mean the world to her, and she's a hero with a cause. Sentinel, the final book, released this month but I haven't picked it up quite yet and I'm thinking I'll probably have to get to it sometime next month. I really am sad to see this series end but you can bet I will be rereading Alex's world many times. 

no. 4 - The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
This was one of my favorite childhood series and it's one that I read with my uncle. That just goes to show you it can appeal to anyone, regardless of age. Narnia is a beautiful series that really introduced me to beautiful, fantastic worlds. 

no. 3 - The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine
Another childhood favorite, but this book really stands out in my memory. It broke all the fairytale stereotypes I'd been introduced to- this story was focused on two sisters, and how one has to become brave to fight an enemy that is completely different- an illness. This book was really great because it was well written with good characters and it was different. I'm glad I read this book because it broke the fairytale mold.

no. 2 - The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
I recently finished the series, and expect it to be spotlighted on this blog quite often. I enjoy Greek mythology and I appreciated that it was well done in this series. Also, the characters are hilarious, anyone can enjoy this regardless of it being classified as a children's series, and there is a companion series coming out currently. Basically? This is a fantastic series that I'm really glad I read recently.

no. 1 - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
I am really thankful that I read this because it was the most amazingly described world that I'd read. This circus is beautiful, it's etheral and gorgeous and intricate. Seriously, the circus is one of the top literary worlds I'd like to visit. It's written that beautifully. I love this book, it's a fantastic standalone and it was a well written adult novel. The characters were developed, the world was fantastic and the plot was so full of mystery I didn't know how the conflict could be resolved. But it was marvelous, and all these positive adjectives are just to describe how happy I am to have read this.

Here are 10 of the many, many wonderful books I've read. Some of these have changed how I've looked at books, some of these have just been favorites of mine, and all of them are ones I'm thankful for. Comment below- do you have some books you're thankful for?

From a paper world,
V

2 comments:

  1. I love your unique twist on this week's topic! I too am thankful for The Fault in Our Stars, The Book Thief, and of course Percy Jackson. I don't know what I would do if the Percy Jackson books were not on my life.

    My Top Ten

    Kay @ It's a Book Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm glad you liked the list; I actually had just read Percy Jackson at the beginning of this month, and I loved it! I'm waiting to marathon the Heroes of Olympus series as well. I checked out your list- I loved it and your blog! I'm definitely adding your blog on bloglovin' it's great! The Fault in Our Stars and Book Thief are such amazing books as well :)

      Violet

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love getting comments and responding, so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by, I truly appreciate it!