Monday, December 16, 2013

The 5 Star Spotlight - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


The Night Circus

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night. 

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands. 

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead. 



Since this was a 5 star book to me I thought that it deserved its own spotlight. This is a feature I will be continuing-The 5 Star Spotlight. So, let's begin this feature with a novel I thoroughly enjoyed. The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern, is a bestselling novel. I'm not going to lie, being the Mortal Instruments fangirl that I am, I originally picked this book up because of the author's last name. Sorry...but it was a great pick regardless. The back cover's blurb intrigued me after the author's name grabbed my attention, and after picking the book up several times I finally caved and bought the novel. Wow. In the beginning, it does start off slowly. There's about a 100 page exposition, which I hesitate to include because I think it will throw some potential readers off the book. Don't let it. It's not glueing your eyes to the novel, but it's not dragging either. It's setting up this world that will truly take your breath away.
However, before we get into the plot, I have to mention that there are, in fact, several different plots. There's this disjointed and intricate narration that includes story lines from Celia and Marco, the magicians and focal point of this mysterious "challenge" that's included in the blurb above, a young boy with a fascination with the circus, several chapters center on the circus's proprietor, and other supporting characters get their own starring chapters throughout. Each chapter is told in third person  with a focus on a specific character. One particular chapter series focuses on you. Yes, you. The reader. Told in second person, these brief but enthralling chapters bring you into the Midnight Circus, and it is a priceless experience that takes this already unique and well done narration to another level. I loved all of the storylines. It kept the story exciting and intricate yet easy to follow.
Now, to the stories. I'm not going to divulge anything spoiler filled, so just take what you can from the blurb and know that this world, this circus, is very much worth the read. It's energetic and whimsical, yet dark, mysterious, and intricate. I loved the novel and commend Ms. Morgenstern for creating a world that was beautiful and beguiling with an engaging story in it. The circus was so beautiful and told in such life like detail that I could see myself walking through it. I fell so completely into this world I one day accidentally coordinated my outfit into the colors of the circus and the book's cover. (Incidentally, that was the day I first encountered the reveur's in the book and since I had unknowningly included some red in my outfit, I felt even more at home within the novel. Once you read The Night Circus, you'll get the reference!) 
This novel is marvelous. I personally gave it five stars, and I think it is a great, worthwhile read, as well as being a standalone work. I do need to give a few disclaimers. This is considered an adult novel, however while there are adult situations there is nothing explicit. I've read The Mortal Instruments and I would put any 'adult situations' on par with the scenes in this series. I did want to put this in the review so that you are aware: this is classified as an adult novel. 
So, as with any review, I'm curious as to your thoughts. How was your visit to the circus? Are you a reveur?

Find it on Goodreads   Visit the Author's Website

From a paper world,
V

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love getting comments and responding, so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by, I truly appreciate it!