Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Top 10 of 2013 - Best Couples of 2013

It is Day 3 of the Top 10 of 2013, and today was blogger's choice for a topic. This is a series I saw on Fiktshun, and I decided to sign up. I don't think I've mentioned, but this is a series running on multiple blogs, Fiktshun is just the one I regularly read and saw this on there. The other bloggers who run this are linked on the sign ups at Fiktshun if you click over, so you can see everyone who runs it! After looking at the categories, I decided upon Best Couples, because there really are some wonderful pairs out there. 

However, before we begin, I want to say first off that there WILL BE SPOILERS since I'm talking about couples that have gotten together in books. With that being said, the following books will be talked about, and if you haven't read that book or up to that book in the series, PLEASE SKIP THAT NUMBER AND AVOID SPOILERS. Let's keep these books fresh for everyone else, so that everyone who reads will discover these couples and characters for themselves as well. Also, the requirements didn't say it had to be a book released in 2013, so this list is comprised of books I read in 2013.

SPOILERS FOR CHARACTERS/BOOKS IN THE FOLLOWING BOOKS:

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare (spoilers for the entire Infernal Devices trilogy)

Splintered by A.G. Howard

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder (spoilers for the entire Study series)

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

The Liberator by Victoria Scott (spoilers for the entire Dante Walker series thus far)

The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan (spoilers for the entire Percy Jackson and the Olympians series)

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi (spoilers for the entire Shatter Me series thus far)

I know that's only 9 books listed, but I have multiple favorite characters from a book. This time I could not pick favorites, since there are different things I like about each couple. So, this list is in no particular order!

The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)no. 10 - The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
couple: Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase
These guys are adorable. I love that there's no insta-romance here. There's friendship, and it develops and deepens as they grow up. It was good to have in the books because it was never overbearing but, slowly but surely, it was there. Plus, they're an incredible fighting team and friends, so they've always got a good dynamic.





The Coldest Girl in Coldtownno. 9 - The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
couple: Tana and Gavriel
Let's just start off with these two as individual characters. Tana is determined, smart, and strong. Gavriel is clever, poetic, and eccentric. In short, these two are some of my favorite characters I've read this year. As a couple, they were incredible. They understood each other and complemented each other so well! I wish we either had a sequel for these two or had a lot more Tana and Gavriel scenes!




The Night Circusno. 8 - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
couple: Celia and Marco
In terms of couples that have to overcome a lot to be together, let's talk about these two. The entire challenge kept them apart, but they had a connection. I really liked these two as characters, and together they were a great team, and they had a lot to go through to be together.






Splintered (Splintered, #1)no. 7 - Splintered by A.G. Howard
couple: Morpheus and Alyssa
Yes, I'm Team Morpheus. These two have such a good backstory, with her childhood and his innocence with her. And Morpheus is such a magical being, he exudes mystery and charm. But when it comes down to it, he was there for her. That's what made him such a strong character. Morpheus had a long way to come in this book. But he made it. And I loved his scenes with Alyssa, and I can't wait for Unhinged!




The Fault in Our Starsno. 6 - The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
couple: Augustus and Hazel
Wow, what a love. These two have one heck of a story within The Fault in Our Stars. This book feels real, and these two were incredible characters. It was happy, memorable, sad, emotional, and bittersweet. The writing was so beautiful that it really brought these two to life and, well, their ending wasn't happy, but in a way their story was. 





Fire Study (Study, #3)no. 5 - Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder
couple: Yelena and Valek
Not gonna lie, I was shipping these two from the moment Yelena emerged from the prison and was brought into Valek's office. These two are incredible. Both are strong and cunning in their own right, but together they're near unstoppable. They both have values and respect the other; Yelena knows Valek's loyalty is what makes him. Throughout this former trilogy (they're making 3 more books starting in 2014!!) they have a lot to deal with. By the end of Fire Study I wasn't seeing how they could ever have a happy ending. But I am so amazed at how this story came together, and I cannot wait for more!

Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)no. 4 - Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
couple: Tessa and Jem
I know there are plenty of Tessa and Will fans out there, and I was always conflicted between the two for the entire series, but I always wanted Jem to find happiness. He was one of my favorite characters because he was someone who loved everyone else and did everything he could for them. He also understood people easily, and that was invaluable to those near him. I think the ending was wonderful, because it gave Jem the happiness I longed for. I cried when he 'died' and I cried in the epilogue too. But although there were sad times in the story, there was a lot of love, too, and in the end Jem found his happy ending.

Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)no. 3 - Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
couple: Juliet and Warner
Warner is a great character in this series. He's strong despite so many things that have gone against him, and he still loves Juliet despite everything he'd been through. In Shatter Me? He definitely wasn't portrayed as likeable but I still was intrigued by his character. Destroy Me, Warner's novella, really shows a lot about who he is and why he acts as he does in Shatter Me. By the time Unravel Me came around, Warner and Juliet's relationship was better to me than her and Adam. I know Fracture Me, Adam's novella, is coming out or has come out recently, but I think Warner and Juliet would find happiness together.

Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)no. 2 - Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
couple: Will and Tessa
Ok, as I said, I was conflicted the entire series. So the ending was really well made to me. Because Tessa and Will did have their love. They had an incredible life together, and I remember seeing Will and Tessa fanart on Cassandra Clare's tumblr, or seeing Cassandra JP post sketches, and I loved seeing them. So, Will and Tessa were an incredible couple in the book as well. Tessa had a life with him, and I cried when he died. Will was a reader, so I think most book lovers have a soft spot for him..



The Liberator (Dante Walker, #2)no. 1 - The Liberator by Victoria Scott
couple: Dante Walker and Charlie Cooper
These two are great because they aren't typical YA folks. Charlie is not, in The Collector, 'a gorgeous girl who just doesn't see it'. Dante is complex, but a good narrator for the books. And these two had a lot to go through together, but they did and came out stronger. After The Liberator's ending, they have a lot more to go through in The Warrior. And I really, really appreciated how Victoria Scott did not make a love triangle in this book. I mean, every time Dante talks about Aspen, he blatantly states that she's like a sister to him. That was really great to avoid a love triangle since, to me, it wouldn't have fit given Charlie and Dante's relationship.

So there are some of my favorite couples that I read this year. How about you?

From a paper world,
V


2 comments:

  1. I loved Percy & Annabeth (I really need to do a re-read of the series) and I love Celia & Marco. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were some great ones :) Thanks for all the comments by the way, I've been loving your lists!

      Violet

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love getting comments and responding, so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by, I truly appreciate it!